With Marketo’s rich reporting, simplicity, and open platform, CloudHealth Technologies marketers increase contribution to revenue 10X
The cloud enables businesses to create high-performance computing environments at a lower cost than traditional IT models. Managing today’s cloud environments, however, is incredibly complicated. CloudHealth Technologies helps companies reduce the complexity and cost of cloud management.
The recognized worldwide leader in cloud service management, CloudHealth Technologies is rapidly expanding its customer base and its revenues. According to Jeff Wharton, Sr. Director of Demand Generation and Regional Marketing, the marketing team has undergone a major transformation in the past year to drive and support that growth.
The transformation includes replacing outdated marketing software with Marketo, the leading Engagement Platform. Primary reasons for selecting Marketo include the platform’s extensive digital marketing functionality combined with openness that ensures easy integration with Salesforce.com as well as other best-of-breed offerings, such as webinar hosting, business intelligence, and social monitoring and listening tools. Marketo empowers CloudHealth marketers to listen, learn, and engage prospects. As a result, they can deliver compelling content and personalized interactions that increase the number of prospects in the funnel. The marketing team’s impressive results include a 60% reduction in digital acquisition cost per MQL through better definition of target audience and advanced smart list filters and a 10X increase in marketing’s contribution to revenue.
- Implement a leading-edge marketing platform that scales to support CloudHealth’s aggressive growth targets.
- Enhance reporting to incorporate every touch that influences a purchase and gain visibility into what propels a prospect through each stage of the funnel.
- Seamlessly integrate best-of-breed tools into a cohesive marketing ecosystem without lengthy and costly development efforts.
Rich reporting for more meaningful engagement
When Jeff joined CloudHealth Technologies to head up demand generation, it was clear that the company had outgrown the marketing software implemented when the company was smaller. Marketing needed a platform capable of scaling the number of campaigns, creating more personalized interactions, and providing richer reporting on campaigns that target a rapidly growing number of diverse prospects. The ability to segment prospects and customize interactions and content based on such factors as business role, interests, and the prospect’s stage in the sales cycle was critical. So was the ability to up-level reporting to identify every marketing touch that influences a purchase, gain visibility into how a prospect progresses through the funnel, and understand the context around what moved someone through each stage of the customer journey.
"Marketo goes beyond the rudimentary metrics available from our previous solution. Detailed reports help us understand, for example, how many email invitations we have to send to get x number of people to sign up for a webinar. Plus we can identify how many of those people will move into the next stage of the buying cycle. We’re operating in a predictive mode now: We can even calculate the revenue we’ll generate based on the number of people we drive to a webinar.”
Ease of use for fast ramp up
According to Jeff, the biggest resource constraint on the marketing team is time. Marketo is helping by dramatically increasing the team’s productivity and efficiency. For example, marketers can create new programs with simple copy and paste. As a result, the team is running three times more nurture campaigns than before. The team has also increased the number of webinars six fold—from two or three per quarter to nearly 18.
Doubling the size of the marketing staff in the past nine months has also helped increase the number of programs. However, it’s Marketo’s simplicity, which minimizes the learning curve for new staff members, that made it possible to expand the staff at such a rapid pace.
"There’s only so much time that the current staff can dedicate to onboarding and training new-hires and still keep the wheels turning on critical programs. And time to value on new people is critical so you can demonstrate to management that expanding the staff is a worthwhile investment. Not long ago, we had three new marketers start in the same week. They were able to come up to speed on Marketo very quickly and two of them were running programs within a week.”
Ease of integration for a comprehensive ecosystem
Marketo integration with Salesforce.com allows reliable data synchronization between those two business-critical systems. The result is stronger alignment between the marketing and sales teams. The openness of the platform is also enabling marketing to take full advantage of third-party tools that, as Jeff puts it, “up-level our marketing engine.” For example:
- Integration of GoToWebinar automates the flow of attendance, no-show, and other webinar data into Marketo, enabling marketers to leverage the GoToWebinar infrastructure for lead generation while taking advantage of Marketo tracking and analytics capabilities to gain insight into webinar performance.
- Socedo integration enables CloudHealth to engage in social listening and bring intent data from the social web into Marketo for use in demand generation activities.
- With Siftrock integration, marketers are expanding the range of responses they can track for purposes of attribution. For example, a prospect who receives an email invitation to a webinar may not click to sign up but may reply directly to a sales rep to get more information. In that case, marketing’s influence isn’t traditionally captured. Siftrock enables marketing to track these responses in Marketo and demonstrate marketing’s influence on the deal.
"The Marketo ecosystem allows us to work with these vendors without bringing in an outside developer or diverting internal resources away from their focus on developing CloudHealth products. That lowers the cost of experimentation for marketing because we have the ability to integrate a tool right away. It also gives us better insight into how marketing’s efforts influence the flow through the pipeline.”